Salad Nicoise is a main-course salad which features tuna and anchovy. It is named for the city of Nice and is a specialty of the French Riviera. A traditional Salad Nicoise consists of canned tuna, anchovies, hard boiled eggs, boiled potatos, tomato, olives and green beans. A different interpretation of Salad Nicoise, which I am partial to, uses seared tuna in place of canned tuna.
Salad Nicoise Recipe
- 8 oz Ahi Tuna
- 1 cups of lettuce leaves
- 2 oz green beans
- 1 ripe tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/2 potato, peeled, sliced and cooked
- 1/2 english cucumber, sliced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and wedged
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 6 olives, sliced
- Sear Ahi Tuna to medium rare. Slice into 1/4 inch slices when cool.
- Placed lettuce leaves in a shallow bowl.
- Arrange potato, green beans, cucumbers and tomato over lettuce.
- Placed sliced tuna, egg wedges and anchovy fillets on top of salad.
- Top with olive slices and serve with vinaigrette on the side.